Image Map

Easy Weeknight Meal

16 January 2015


This meal was so yummy and so easy (I literally made it with a crawling babe at my feet!). It was ready and on the table in under 30 minutes. I wish it was a one-pot meal, because I did have quite a few dishes to clean, but I think it was totally worth it!

I adapted this recipe from Diethood.com

Gunner followed me hoping I would drop food, Gracie was following Gunner hoping to grab his tail






Creamy Chicken & Pasta Recipe (definitely needs a more clever name!)

Ingredients:
2 cups orzo, cooked
1 package chicken tenders
1/2 lb asparagus, washed and trimmed
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
olive oil for sauteing
1 tsp minced garlic
salt & pepper for seasoning
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Sauce Ingredients:
leftover olive oil from sauteing chicken + 2 more tbsps.
3 tbsps flour
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk (whatever kind you have on hand)
parmesan cheese (I probably used 3/4 cup, but I just eye it)
salt & pepper

  • In a saucepan, saute garlic and evoo. Add whole chicken tenders and asparagus, and cook for 7-10 minutes.While it is sauteing, add the lemon juice. I like my chicken a little more "browned" and crispy, so I left mine in for 10 minutes.

  • While chicken and asparagus are cooking, make your orzo in a small saucepan.

  • Remove chicken and asparagus with tongs, leaving the oil and garlic in the pan. 
  • Add 2 tbsps olive oil and the flour, and whisk to combine.
  • Whisk in chicken broth, and then milk. Simmer until sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper. My sauce was a little lacking of something at this point, so I added a pinch of chicken bouillon powder. You most certainly do not have to do this! 

  • Add the chicken, asparagus and risotto to the sauce, and stir. 

  • Plate and top with more cheese (more cheese is always a good idea right??) and the halved cherry tomatoes. Serve with warm garlic bread. 

This recipe was so good that it is definitely going in our monthly rotation. It was also excellent reheated for lunch!

This was also my first time cooking orzo (nuts right?!) and it tasted like a risotto, without the hassle of making risotto. Win! 

Enjoy -- and please let me know if you make this recipe!!

No comments :

Post a Comment